MY HIT LIST # 61 Reggie Hammond takes on Torchy's bar


Reggie: Man, you loaded here. What the f*ck's this?
Redneck: Tax refund!
Reggie: Bullshit! You're too f*ckin' stupid to have a job


Redneck: What kind of cop are you?
Reggie: You know what I am? I'm your worst f*ckin' nightmare, man. I'm a ni**er with a badge which means I got permission to kick your f*ckin' ass whenever I feel like it!

Eddie Murphy is known for his family films and low brow comedies, however there was a time when Murphy was an explosive presence both in film and on stage. I have covered his stand up triumphs in a previous post. His arrival on the big screen was one of the great debuts. 48 Hours was followed by Trading Places and Beverley Hills Cop and Murphy’s status as the world’s number one box office star was cemented.

It is, though, 48 hours where Murphy sets his stamp. the movie is efficiently directed by the under rated Walter Hill and Nick Nolte is a great foil for Murphy. Yes it's the odd couple Cop cliche but handled with panache. The scene in the redneck bar is a bravura showcase of his talents.
Jack: Class isn't something you buy. Look at you, you've got on a 500-dollar suit and you're still a low-life.
Reggie: Yeah, but I look good.

Comments

WELLYOULIKEDTHAT