My Double Bills#12 at The Movies




Swimming with Sharks & The Big Picture.Two takes on The LA movie industry

In Swimming with Sharks Writer George Huang is the real star who has written great lines that Spacey delivers brilliantly;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2SLAgrouiw

Buddy: You are nothing! If you were in my toilet I wouldn't bother flushing it. My bathmat means more to me than you!

Buddy: And now try to follow me, because I'm gonna be moving in a kind of circular motion, so if you pay attention, there will be a point!

Buddy: And when you're done with her, west lobby, tube dress, stiletto heels, hurry. Fetch!

Buddy: Say this one time with me: "Would you like that in a pump or a loafer?"... Good. Now memorize it, because starting tomorrow, the only job that you're going to be able to get is selling SHOES!

Buddy: This is the only way that you can hope to survive. Because life... is not a movie. Everyone lies. Good guys lose. And love... does not conquer all


Buddy: You're happy. I hate that!

Buddy: You thought. Do me a fucking favor. Shut up, listen, and learn. Look, I know that this is your first day and you don't really know how things work around here, so I will tell you. You have no brain. No judgement calls are necessary. What you think means nothing. What you feel means nothing. You are here for me. You are here to protect my interests and to serve my needs. So, while it may look like a little thing to you, when I ask for a packet of Sweet-N-Low, that's what I want. And it's your responsibility to see that I get what I want.


In The Big Picture there are nice cameos particularly Martin Short as sleazy agent Neil Sussman written by Michael Varhol and Christopher Guest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF5qtoNC2l0

Neil Sussman: I'm very, very aware... that you are seeing other agents. And I think it's good that you are. Finally, I mean it's healthy. But, this is the thing. If you decide to sign with me, you're gonna get more than an agent. You're gonna get three people.
[Holds up four fingers]
You're gonna get an agent, a mother, a father, a shoulder to cry on, someone who knows this business inside and out. And if anyone ever tries to cross you, I'll grab them by the balls and squeeze 'til they're dead.

Neil Sussman: I don't know you. I don't know your work. But I think you are a genius. And I am never wrong about that


One a dry as a bone cynical comedy about how to get ahead by losing your morality the other a warm witty take on how to get ahead and keep your morals.

Comments

WELLYOULIKEDTHAT