Thursday, 27 May 2010
The thing is that when David Beckham is discussed there is a note of resentment and immaturity about the critique. Now it may not be the done thing but I like David Beckham. He has been criticised and vilified by intellectuals and England supporters alike, for his lifestyle choices, his silly hair and his reptilian wife. But let’s look at the reality. A working class boy, who, while gifted, was not the most talented player of his generation but worked hard at his game and managed to play for Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan,. Captain of England; representing his country over 100 times. A family man who behaves himself and comes across as a pretty ordinary bloke who has done well for himself. Some of his performances for England have been outstanding some not so good but you get the feeling that the majority of the time he has given his all.
Given that the modern player is, generally speaking a badly behaved petulant gad-about I think that Beckham isn’t a bad role model. Yes I know Footballers shouldn’t be role models in a reasonable society but the fact is that they are to many young people.
It’s almost accepted that things and people that are popular get criticised and Beckham is one of those people who gets stick from those that should know better. The argument that he is not intelligent and is not an academic is a fatuous one. I have met many people with degrees left right and centre that are as bright as a 2 Watt bulb.
Yes, he does all the charity stuff and is an ambassador, which can't be a bad thing, but David Beckham is a fellah who has achieved a lot through application and taking opportunities as they have presented themselves. All the talk about being a cultural icon, clothes horse and model takes away the fact that a kid from London has become a success above and beyond his sport. Nice one David.
- ► 2015 (23)
- ► 2014 (16)
- ► 2013 (72)
- ► 2012 (285)
- ► 2011 (397)
- is Big Brother Watching you
- DENNIS HOPPER RIP
- DREAM ON GAGA
- ADVERT BREAK
- DOUBLE DOWN (REDUX)
- Double Down
- Keep it Loreal
- David Beckham
- ADVERT BREAK
- Cillit Cillit Bang bang
- POP HAS EATEN ITSELF
- Tamla Motown -I hear a symphony
- ADVERT BREAK
- Master of disaster
- My double bills #14 nightmares
- My Double bills#13 Big VampireTrouble
- My Double Bills#12 at The Movies
- Woody Allen Pictures and words
- There aint half been some clever etc
- TVs Hidden Gems #10 Barney Miller
- TVs Hidden Gems # 9 Ghost squad
- TVs unHidden gems #8 Made in Britain
- Going to the dogs
- Concept album chaos
- Happy Birthday Stevland Hardaway Judkins
- TVs Hidden gems#7 Dream On
- TVs Hidden Gems #6 The Fear
- Generic Fried Chicken
- RIP Lena Horne
- TVs Hidden Gems #5 King of The Ghetto
- TVs Hidden Gems #4 The Cops
- TVs Hidden Gems #3 Johhny Jarvis
- Behind bars
- TVs Hidden Gems #2 Prospects
- American The Bill Hicks story
- Political insight
- ELECTION DAY
- TVs Hidden gems # 1 Buried
- "This is what I do"
- My Double bills # 11 the Movie that begat the musi...
- Crutches on the streets of London
- My Double bills # 10 Young Frankenstein & Love and...
- Child care less
- ▼ May (43)