Thursday, 8 April 2010
paparazzi pyjama pop out
Pyjamas on the streets of Birmingham.
I wondered how this latest of crazes came about where young girls are out and about going to the shops to top up on B&H in their pyjamas and ubiquitous Uggs. In fact certain High Street stores up North have banned Pyjamas in their stores, much like the banning of hoodies in the Chav cathedral that is Bluewater.The reason for the pyjama fad is obvious when you analyse it; Celebrity fixation.
Coleen, Kerry, Danielle That Hollyoaks girl ad naseum. They all love to pop down the shop in their Jim jams, just shows how bling they are. The cult of the paparazzi pyjama pop out has clearly struck a chord with the young and clueless. Another sign of cultural bankruptcy or another reminder that following trends and perceived lifestyle choices of celebrities has become an obsession.
I’m unsure what they think in Liverpool, Gateshead and Asda but In the Far East wearing pyjamas in public is looked on as a public display of wealth. But the opposite is most likely true.
Some say “It’s a welfarist ‘badge of honour’, proclaiming not just that the state funds their leisure time, but also that they’re staking their claim over the wider neighbourhood as an extension of their bedroom.”
Others say “It’s a new level of not caring about yourself, societal norms and those around you. It’s saying to the world: ‘I’ve never worked and I’ve no intention of ever doing so, now give me twenty Super kings and a packet of Rizla’.”
- ► 2015 (23)
- ► 2014 (16)
- ► 2013 (72)
- ► 2012 (285)
- ► 2011 (397)
- Customer service
- Bateman music critic
- The Wire history
- TIM BURTON myth of originality
- Random Moments # 5 Raining Remixed
- You don't mess with...
- a St George's day drink
- Welcome to Twin Peaks
- A thing of beauty
- Dennis Franz
- Random moments#4 Art & Music Collide
- Random moments #3 Eighties Albums meet Comic books...
- Random moments # 2 Guns are not just for killing
- Zero Tolerance
- Tribute to The Barron Knights
- Robotic Mayhem
- My Double Bills # 9 Sci Fi Fo Fum
- 101 BULLETS: UNKNOWN SOLDIER
- My double bills # 8 strong women
- a right Pen and Ink
- History Lesson
- paparazzi pyjama pop out
- Phone box shenanigans
- A CHIC ORGANISATION PLAYLIST
- My Double Bills # 8 identity is the crisis can't y...
- A POST PUNK PLAYLIST
- Driven to despair
- My double Bills # 7 Original Gangsters
- Perfect Pop as easy as ABC
- Magazine meaning in a crowded market
- ▼ April (33)